October 28th – 29th with a rain date of November 4th to 5th
This overnight hike will have several options to be appropriate for beginner through more advanced hikers as well as hawk watch and saw-whet banding opportunities. You may backpack your gear in & out or drop it off at the campground. There are options to hike a mile or two or eight plus miles.
We have extra camping and hiking gear so just let us know if you need any.
We will need help with shuttling drivers. And a female leader for the rain date. Nancy is hoping to attend a show in Boston in which Amy Donna is preforming on 11/4.
- Saturday Afternoon, 10/28, 3PM – start at Washington Monument State Park;
- about an hour from Westminster
- overnight parking lot
- hawk watch from Washington monument
- 1.4 mile hike on Appalachian Trail to Dahlgren Backpacker Camp
- Saturday Night – Camp at Dahlgren Back Pack campground
- Campground has water, showers and a picnic pavilion
- Parking at Old South Mountain Inn
- sunset at 6:10PM
- 9PM to about midnight, Possible saw-whet owl banding at Lambs Knoll if enough interest and a bander is available
- Sunday – Hiking Choices
- to Reno Monument Road
- to Lambs Knoll Look Out Tower (a little longer on Appalachian Trail but Google wouldn’t cooperate)
- to Gapland Road (again slightly longer on trail)